Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Wednesday morning. Breakfast.

This is the first time I've been truly tired since coming to sea level (but its worth it, of course!). Yesterday the group went to the SIT office for the first time. We had our first Wolof class, in which we learned the names and functions of several specifically African objects. I brushed my teeth with a branch of a special tree (Mom, dentistry here may or may not completely mortify you:) ) whose chemical makeup removes plaque from the teeth and helps to combat gingivitis. If you see a Senegalese (or West African) chewing a twig or scraping it against their teeth, this is a completely common practice here - its cheaper than a toothbrush and paste. 

We are all tired and rushing around like fools -  I will try to update with photos and a more coherent entry this afternoon. Until then...
-Ryan

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ryan! Good to know that you've arrived. Tell us - what are you eating there? I was talking to your mom on the phone & read her your Senegalize dentisty info - she giggled... Keep writing. Think of you. Prayers! Auntie Sue.

Sue said...

I'm no longer anonymous... Keep writing. sue

Anonymous said...

hi ryan

Anonymous said...

just wanted to make sure I set this up ok sue read me the blogs you sent about cleaning teeth with twigs actually that is very good hygiene and quite effective most population groups who practice this have few gum problems I am getting my stuff in order for my surgery tomorrow. dining rm looks great sounds like you are enjoying Africa more when I can manage it after coming home love u

Anonymous said...

hi Ryan sounds like you are having a blast can't wait to read your next blog.

Ryan Jeffers said...

Sue - thanks for the update! I'm glad that people are reading the blog and leaving comments. I'm about the post some pictures from today.

Rock - COOL its on the way right now. Sorry the blogs are so infrequent; we've been really busy. It was my goal initially to translate them all into French as well but I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep doing that because it is SO time consuming.

Mom - I bought a bundle for roughly 50 cents. Sweet.