Friday, October 17, 2008

Hit the ground running!!!!

I know I've been a terrible blogger, but not without good reason. Since the return from St. Louis I have been taking tama (talking drum) lessons with Massamba Diop, who is arguably the best tama player (and maker) not only in Senegal but in all of Africa. Between working with him, practicing, and keeping up with schoolwork, there hasn't been too much time for blogging. Hopefully I will be able to re-establish my regiment of regular updates. In the mean time, please enjoy a few pictures from my recent escapades!


Tortoise Face



Zebra butts



Giraffes



The Griots, a Senegalese caste of historians, musicians and poets, used to put their dead inside the often hollow trunk of the baobob tree. Here you can see two skulls (a man and wife?) in the trunk of this massive tree.



Touba is the sacred city of the Mouride sect of Islam, which houses the impressive mosqie that was founded by Cheikh Amadou Bamba (Marabout, or holy leader, who brought Mouridism to Senegal).


Anterior hallway of the mosque in Touba. Most of the work was done by Moroccan craftspeople in three waves; the first came in and plastered the ceiling, columns, and walls; the second came to carve the elaborate shapes into the plater; the third came to paint. The entirety of the mosque and its grounds are as impressive and ornate as this hallway. Wow!



These sexy ladies were my mothers (yes, mothers - my father has two wives) in the village of Ker Sedaro, outside of Thies. And they gave birth to....



they gave birth to...THIRTY TWO children!!!!!!!! Scary!







5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dad and I just finished looking at your recent pictures - very interesting - especially the one with the skulls in the tree. By the way, where were you when you saw the skulls? We sure enjoyed talking to you today. We were both impressed with what a deal you are getting with your drum lessons. I am looking forward to hearing you play the talking drum when you get back. love you

Anonymous said...

Hi Ryan, I really like your animal pictures. Are you getting to do much "safari"ing? Uncle Bill and I are really interested in hearing a talking drum. Do you know how we could get a copy of some music? Maybe a disk or tape or something. Your Dad says that you are staying extremely busy there. We are looking foreward to more pictures. Keep blogging. Its great reading. Love ya Aunt Benise

Anonymous said...

AHH!!! Those pictures are so cool! I want a little zebra baby....and jesus I can't believe that all those kids came out of those two ladies. I think I would shoot myself if I had to take care of that many children. just kidding. I hope that all is well still. it sure looks like it is!

Anonymous said...

Dear Ryan, In spite of Naomi and Finn walking back and forth in front of the computer screen, maybe we can get in a few words. Your latest pictures were great. Last week we first took Naomi and Sophie to the vet to get their shots. Naomi crawled back in the carrier after a few choice meows and was quiet and cooperative. Sophie strolled around the treatment
table enjoying her outing. Both were good about their shots (two each) Then we went home and got Berg and Finn. Berg got back in the carrier after being weighed and was quiet. Finn had a ball checking out the whole room and just purring away. When it came time to get shots, Berg was good and Finn put up a real fuss. It took two aides to hold him down but finally got the shot in his rear on the fourth try. Berg is possessed with darting into the garage every time it is opened. Once he makes up his mind to something it is hard to stop him. We enjoyed the phone call over the weekend. It is always good to hear hour voice. Hope your foot is getting better. Love you lots and lots. G & G

Libby said...

Hi Ryan,

Nanga def? I went to Senegal with SIT through DU in 2006 and I just found your blog through the DU website. It's fun to hear all that you are up to and remember doing the same activities. We may even have had the same host mothers in Ker Sadaro, from the looks of the picture. I hope you continue to have an amazing experience. I know that even after two years, there is a ton I am still processing. Senegal leaves its mark. Do you know if anyone in you group is staying with the Samb household in Zone B? I would love to get an update on them! Oh, and happy Halloween. We carved a greenish gourd that looked something like a pumpkin in Kedougou. You do what you have to.

Hope all is well, and I look forward to reading about more of your adventures!

ba beneen,
Libby Demmon/ Bineta Samb
libby.demmon@gmail.com