Wednesday, November 12, 2008

An update, at last!

Dear blog readers,

I know that it was been what seems like FOREVER since I have updated my blog. Perhaps I should explain what's up:

We went to Kedougou in the Southeast region of Senegal. I caught malaria. I rested in bed with an I.V. for three days. Seemingly recovered, I traveled back to Dakar with the group. Three days passed. I woke up at 3h feeling terrible. I went to school anyway. I kept feeling worse and worse throughout the day. I visited a doctor that night who prescribed a few more pills. I stayed at the school for two days until deciding that I had better go see another doctor. I went to a clinic, then to a hospital (which they called a clinic) in Dakar. I stayed there for three days before the insurance company decided it was in my best interest to be evacuated to Paris. I came to Paris on a commercial flight with a doctor and have undergone countless blood-tests, ultrasounds, urinalysis, etc. Though I don't feel any better, the doctors in Paris are convinced that I have recovered. They are sending me back to Dakar on Friday. Once I get there, I am not sure what I am going to do, because they recommend bed-rest for several days. Needless to say I am very discouraged and wish it would all be over.

Please excuse the negativity of this entry, and the inexcusable intervals between updates.
-Ryan

3 comments:

Robin Claire said...

"inexcusable"?
I happen to think that malaria counts as a decent excuse...
I'll be away when you come back Friday, but feel better and see you soon!

Anonymous said...

Oh my God Ryan, I hope your ok! You've got me really worried over here.
Feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

I really hope you are "on the mend". I know you are worried about finishing your project, but remember you only get one shot with your health. There are no do overs. Ask me, I'll tell you. Whatever you do I know it will be a TERRIFIC job. Come home safe and sound. Love reading the blog. Your Aunt Benise.