Sunday, August 31, 2008

Dimanche. Matin.

Hello everyone,


Last night I was watching a televised concert on TV which featured various local musicians. The show was similar to American Idol in that one could cast a vote for the best musician/ensemble via text-message. The votes are accepted from Mali, Gambia, Senegal and many other countries. When the screen showed the number for Senegal, I realized that the former title of my blog, "en Senegal," is a HUGE grammatical error. This compares to saying, "at Denver," vs., "in Denver," thus the change of title to "au Senegal."
[Hier soir j’ai regardé un concert télévisé avec beaucoup des artistes musicales locales. On avait le choix de voter pour le meilleur artiste ou groupe. En regardant le numéro de téléphone pour voter, j’ai réalisé que le titre de mon blog n’était pas correct. Donc, j’ai changé le titre d’ « en Sénégal » à « au Sénégal ».]

Forgetting that today is Dimanche (the day of sleeves/Sunday), I woke very early in search of breakfast. [Quelle belle vue! Voila quelques photographies:]


 







7h30 (pas de soleil)      
7:30 AM (before sunrise)

Yesterday evening I remembered to take malaria prophylaxis. It figures that pills of this nature turn my stomach into goop. Shortly after, it was dinner time and I walked to the restaurant in spite of the fact that I felt like a war was being fought in my intestines. Indeed, I did eat fish. I so badly wanted a delicious, crispy fresh salad; unfortunately, most Senegalese restaurants do not wash produce in iodine solution, a mandatory procedure for the Western stomach. Since the prophylaxis had fully kicked in, what might have been a delicious meal was in fact quite raunchy. I ate what I could and came home feeling hungry and sick. I now take the prophylaxis AFTER breakfast in
 the morning. Hopefully next time I have to eat fish it will taste as delicious as it smelled.
[Apres 6 années d’être un végétalien, c’est difficile de manger le viande. Hier soir, j’avais du manger un poisson pour le dîner. C’était délicieux, mais l’estomac est vraiment contre le « prophylaxies » (médicaments contre la malaire). Donc j’avais mal à l’estomac, mais le poisson sentait bon. Ce matin, j’ai mangé un croissant et un œuf. Après ça, je peux commencer de 
compre
ndre pourquoi le végétalien‘isthme’  est difficile pour la plupart du monde. Les croissants étaient très très très excellents !  ]










Level du soleil sur Dakar
(Sunrise over Dakar)

This morning at breakfast I ate a croissant and a hard-boiled egg with coffee and orange-mango juice. It is now that I can begin to understand why veganism can be so difficult for so many people. The croissant was incredible. I have no croissant-eating memories to compare this one to, but it was damn good. The egg was also very tasty.  










L'Auberge Good Rade
The Auberge (like a hotel)

After breakfast, in search of a fiche, I walked around the neighborhood in which the Auberge is situated. The streets of Senegal are very different than those in America. Most side-streets are unpaved and filled with puddles of stagnant water (right now we are in the rainy season) and trash. From what I can gather, people either burn their trash of throw it into the road for someone else to deal with. There were also vermin and rats (really gross but so cute from a safe distance). The main roads are paved and very clean. I will probably have to go en ville for a fiche, but at least I now know the neighborhood a little better. 
[Aujourd’hui c’est Dimanche donc tous des personnes veulent dormir plus tarde. Je me suis réveillé au débout et marché dans la ville. Aussi j’ai cherché une fiche électronique pour l’ordinateur. Les rues de Dakar sont vraiment différentes que les rues aux Etats-Unis. Voilà, il y avait des déchets et des rats dans les rues.]

Later today, the rest of the students will arrive in Dakar. I anxiously await their arrival.
Until next post, adieu


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello brother,

been reading your blog it was nice to talk to you this afternoon. hope you are learning lots and will get along with all the other students. good luck!

your cats are doing fine but they miss you

seester

Ryan Jeffers said...

HI Rock!
Glad to see you're logging in and reading my blog. Look for another update later on tonight. Today we're going to go to SIT (finally) and get oriented there.
Peace
Ryan